Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Saturday: Family Fun

While Maestro Pablo is outside teaching class, I hear a lot of this: "Uno! Dos! Tres! Vamonos ya!" On Saturdays, however, I hear tons of laughter.

This is the group that wins my prize of the season for having the most fun. They come every Saturday and spend nearly two hours working out. A family that plays together, stays together! We met Mildred, bottom right, in our Mayan language class. She brought her husband and brother to learn to swim. She also referred her nephew to Ko'ox Báab classes. That was last year. These folks completed the course and are comfortable in the water, but have come back to sharpen their skills, maintain a weekly vigorous exercise campaign, and enjoy some fun time in the swimming pool. We all also make an effort to use a little of the Mayan language we study, making it a constant learning experience. ¡Ko'ox Báaxal! or...Let's Play!


Left to right, Mario, Valentina, Alonso, Angel and Mildred.


Pablo always concocts a series of obstacle courses, races and contests both out on the warm-up mats and in the water. Here they are learning to work together by moving this hula hoop around the swimming pool. It is not as easy as it sounds, but it is "muy divertido" to see them do all kinds of silly things. They have such a good time, and they work so hard, I always make them juice or Gatorade to replenish them after their Saturday afternoon exercise.


Uno! Dos! Tres! Vámonos ya!



By the time I grabbed my camera I had missed the funniest moments, but still, this is a pretty good example of what I hear from my office, where I am usually battling with the computer while they are out there splish splashing away! I get a charge out of it, and it gives the feel for who we here at Ko'ox Báab.

2 comments:

bajaJohn said...

Man - everyone really seems to be having a wonderful time in the water.

Linda Dorton said...

It is an amazing sight to watch these families have fun together. It is one of the rewards of stepping back into this time machine called Mérida.